Fortunately it’s not every day that a message like this comes over the email.
TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 3
NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER
0130 UTC MON MAR 30 2015
…PTWC TSUNAMI THREAT MESSAGE…
PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS
* MAGNITUDE 7.6
* ORIGIN TIME 2349 UTC MAR 29 2015
* COORDINATES 4.7 SOUTH 152.7 EAST
* DEPTH 33 KM / 20 MILES
* LOCATION NEW IRELAND REGION PAPUA NEW GUINEA
* AN EARTHQUAKE WITH A PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE OF 7.6 OCCURRED IN
THE NEW IRELAND REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA AT 2349 UTC ON SUNDAY
MARCH 29 2015.
* BASED ON ALL AVAILABLE DATA… HAZARDOUS TSUNAMI WAVES ARE
FORECAST FOR SOME COASTS.
As it turned out, there was no tsunami. Some houses were shaken as were some people, but no damage was recorded.
It’s good to know that there is a tsunami warning system in place and that it works.
It’s also good to know that our house is build on steel stilts set in concrete and about a mile away from the shore.!